020 8390 4701 - 10:00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 16:00 Tuesday and Thursday only

Stop the Legal Services Commission taking 25% of Victim’s Compensation



As part of the government’s proposed changes to the Legal Aid Fund, in an effort to save money and make Legal Aid self funding, it is planned to introduce a Supplementary Legal Aid Scheme, whereby at the end of a case, even if it is successful and all money advanced by the Legal Services Commission is repaid, 25% of the Claimant’s compensation will be deducted and paid to the government in order to try and finance the Legal Aid scheme out of damages.

We at ACAL believe that the proposal is wrong, and should be abandoned for the victims of abuse. We have written a letter to the Ministry of Justice, which can be viewed here as a Word document

  • To take 25% of an abuse victim’s compensation is tantamount to abusing them all over again.
  • Often the abuser was a government employee. To subject the client to abuse, then take some of their compensation off them at the end is wrong.
  • The impact assessment published by the government when the scheme was proposed originally illustrated that the amount saved by the proposed scheme would be minimal in the area of abuse, principally because damages are relatively low in any event.
  • The largest saving to the Legal Aid Fund would be in the area of Clinical Negligence, which will be withdrawn from scope in any event. Thus there is no significant saving to be made, and the proposed policy is misguided and should be withdrawn.
  • Sometimes aggravated, exemplary or punitive damages are awarded to a victim in order to punish the abuser or his/her employers. If the Defendant is a government body, the deduction of money from damages by the Legal Services Commission becomes even more unacceptable as it defeats the whole point of punitive damages in the first place.

If you would like to support our campaign, please send a letter to your MP. If you follow Letter To MP (Suggested) to a suggested letter, please fill in your own details, print it off, and send it to your MP. If you don’t know who your MP is, the follow this link to find out – Find my MP.

Here is the link to the suggested letter you can send to your MP (Word Document) Letter To MP (Suggested)